Daily Thailand Budget – April 2012
Want to know how much it costs to be a backpacker in Thailand for a day? Why not ask someone who knows what they’re talking about! Working out a daily budget can be a little tricky when you’re the other side of the world. While the guidebooks can help out to a degree, they’re not always up to date, nor do they give you the info you’re looking for.
The best way to plan your daily Thailand budget is to look what others are spending there TODAY – people just like you, who might want a beer or two with lunch, to take a moto taxi instead of walking or just want a bit of air con in their guest house.
Our daily budget for Thailand reflects what most backpackers will spend day to day and covers the areas where a few people might choose to splurge.
Daily Thailand budget:
Sleep (Khao San Road):
- Dorm Bed (fan, shared bathroom) – 120-150B
- Basic single room (fan, shared bathroom, possibly without a window) – 180B
- Guesthouse double room (fan, private bathroom, TV) – 400B
- Hotel double room (air con, hot water bathroom, TV) – 800B
Splurge! Hotels on Th. Sukhumvit in the city centre start from around 1500B for a luxury room in a great hotel with pool, maid service, etc.
Check for rooms with Hostelbookers.com
- Small street snacks (BBQ meat, pork dumplings) – 20B
- Cheese and ham toastie from 7-11 – 25B
- Street pad thai with egg – 30B
- Chicken green curry with rice – 40B
- Croissant from European coffee shop – 90B
- Indoor restaurant with air con – meal + drinks around 150B
- Fancy restaurant – meal + cocktails around 500B
Splurge! Having a meal in a fancy restaurant, with a cocktail and a drink or two, costs around 500B per person.
- 1 litre water from 7-11 – 18B
- Coffee from US style coffee shop – 60-85B
- Big bottle of Chang from 7-11 – 50B
- Big bottle of Chang in a bar – 100-150B
- Spirit + mixer – 150B
- Cocktail in a fancy bar – 250B
- Whisky bucket – 250B
- Public bus from Bangkok (Ekamai Terminal) to Trat – 248B
- International bus ride (Bangkok to Phnom Penh) – 600B
- Skytrain from airport to Phayathai (into city centre) – 45B
- Taxi from Phayathai to Khao San Road 100B
- Taxi/tuk tuk ride 20 mins – 100B
- Skytrain ride 8 stops (20 mins) – 35B
Splurge! A taxi from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport to Khao San Road/city centre costs around 300-350B.
- Internet 1 hour (free wifi widely available) – 30-60B
- Entrance fee to Royal Palace – 400B
- Entrance fee to Reclining Golden Buddha – 100B
If you’re doing the Southeast Asia ‘loop’ then check out our up-to-date daily budget for Cambodia as well.