Be a better travel photographer
Following up my article last week about digital cameras – (the difference between great travel photography and great freedom – DSLR or compact?). I’ve recently come across an eBook called Transcending Travel. It’s by the folks over at Digital Photography School and I’ve got to say straight away – it’s the best eBook I’ve ever read!
Store cherished travel photos in an aluminium crafted photo album.
If you are a novice photographer then I couldn’t recommend this eBook enough, the first chapter is probably a little hard going for an absolute beginner but it is packed with need to know information… Perhaps the best thing about this book is that after reading a few pages I put it down to go get my camera and try a few things I’d just learned, it delivers the advice in such a simple but inspiring way that I couldn’t help but keep reading, stopping only to try different techniques out.
This isn’t me just trying to sell you an eBook so I make a bit of money myself (I do make a small commission on every book but that just goes towards the running costs of this site). This really opened my eyes to some technical and some creative aspects of travel photography and despite having only bought it a day ago – I feel I’ve learned a LOT already.
After reading a few chapters and taking it in I had a look over some of what I regard as my best shots… And would you believe it, it all made sense! I’d unknowingly taken the shots using the techniques described in the book! And that’s exactly why I liked them so much.
The book is priced at $19.99 which at first might seem a little steep… But hear this – If you don’t like it they offer a full money back guarantee!
Click here to view more details
Transcending Travel – What’s Inside
Written by acclaimed professional travel photographer Mitchell Kanashkevich, Transcending Travel is a downloadable PDF eBook specifically designed to help you improve your travel photography.
Here’s why DPS is super proud of this eBook and believe it’ll improve your photography:
- Because it’s meaty – 80 pages packed with brand new teaching on a wide spread of topics (see below for what it covers)
- Because it’s actionable – A great blend of theoretical knowledge and practical advice
- Because we SHOW you how – Each page contains inspiring real life example images to illustrate the subjects (with EXIF data so you know what went into the shots)
- Because it propels you to DO something – Exercises throughout the book take this away from just being about ‘theory’ and get you DOING something with the knowledge you’re learning
- Because it’s for everyone – Accessible by beginners shooting with basic gear, yet challenging for more advanced photographers with a DSLR
- Because it’s accessible – Beautifully Designed, Easy to Read and Available for Immediate Download as a PDF Today
- Because it’s Guaranteed – you get a 60 Day No questions asked Money Back Guarantee
Transcending Travel is set out in four easy to use sections.
1. Preparation: advice on preparing for your trip
- How to research your trip
- Choosing the Right Lenses to take
- Buying the right camera body
- Other Equipment to take
2. Composition: how to communicate effectively to those who view your images through principles of photographic composition.
- The Photographic Frame and how to use it
- How to draw the eye of those viewing your images
- The importance of Focal Points, Perspective, Negative Space, Lines, Patterns, Depth of Field and more in Composition
3. Light: how to use light creatively to tell your stories, communicate your emotion and evoke emotions in others.
- First steps to using light creatively
- How to ‘Direct’ natural and available light
- Familiarization with different times of day and lighting situations (including Twilight, ‘magic hour’, in midday sun, diffused light, firelight and foggy light) and teaching on what effects different types of light have.
- How to shoot after sundown
- Lighting tools: flashes and reflectors
4. Making Photos: walks readers through numerous aspects involved in the making of a good travel photograph.
- 5 key elements of the photographic process
- How to Freeze Motion
- How to Effectively Use Motion Blur
- Working with people – ethics, language barriers and communication
- Posing People effectively
- Environmental Portraits
- How to Shoot Landscapes (natural and man-made)
- Tips on Photographing Buildings and Monuments
- How to Photograph Interiors and Still Life Objects
Click here to view more details